Sunday, July 13, 2008

Greed - Let's Do Something About It

A man came to our door last night selling a three volume collection of Bible stories. Actually, its the entire Bible in story format, easy to read. Each story is two pages, illustrated and has discussion questions at the end. It's actually a really neat tool for getting in the Word as a family. Needless to say, Casey and I purchased a set. We are really excited and can't wait to get it and start spending some quality family time in God's Word. It was a bit pricey but the man made an interesting point. We spend on average $100 a month just on cable and internet....entertainment. So why is it that when it comes to putting our money towards something that will further God's kingdom, we just aren't too sure about it? We have no problem spending $50-100 on a nice dinner and a night at the movies. But when it comes to tithing, or buying a new Bible, we spend the least ammount of money possible. What's wrong with us? We can talk all day about how we should do this or how we should do that for the Lord but when it comes down to it, its not about what the Lord wants, its about what we want. This really hit Casey and I both. It all comes down to prioritizing. Its just something to think about.
I guess that all goes along with greed and Satan trying to trick us into wanting and "needing" things we really don't. He would much rather us spend our money on cable, internet, dinners out, movies, etc. than on an awesome tool that will help us grow as a family in our walk with the Lord. You know, I think sometimes we forget how Satan attacks even our children, our babies. We like to think they are innocent and so forth. I mean, Landon is 2 and if he were to pass away tonight, he would join Jesus in Heaven. But that's not to say that Satan isn't already attacking him, and tricking him. Landon, at 2 years old is beginning to turn all of his wants into "needs." He no longer "wants" that new train from the store, he "needs" it. Casey and I just laugh about it most of the time. Until this morning as Erik was talking about greed and turning our wants into needs. Even at 2 years old, this is happening. It really makes me mad! Landon is 2, he isn't at an age to fully understand what's going. Yet Satan will take any and every opportunity to corrupt a person's mind. He doesn't care how old they are. The more I think about it, the madder it makes me. It just solidifies the incredible job that God has given us, but giving us Landon. This isn't a job I'm willing to mess up. But I know that I have the Ultimate Power on my side. I know that Satan has already been defeated. I know that when Landon is old enough to understand, he will choose Christ, thus putting Satan in his place. Nevertheless, it still ticks me off. I'm not fighting this battle alone, nor am I fighting it just for me. I'm fighting it for my family as well. Praise Jesus we have already won! Praise the Lord that He is always with us and that we as sons and daughters of the Most High, have that peace and that comfort!

2 comments:

Erik Reed said...

Very cool guys...look forward to keeping up with all that God is doing in your lives.

Perry family said...

Kasie you are right! I have never thought about how much Satan has already started attacking our children. We have a tough job as parents, but one I'm definitely up for.