Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Private School vs. Public School - What does God want?

I grew up in a Christian family. We always went to church. We were pretty involved. But the one thing that I remember most about growing up and church was going to a Christian high school. My parents sent us to Shiloh Christian (Arkansas) because they thought the education would be better. They thought it would better prepare us for college. Well honestly, the education was about the same as public education. But I loved high school. You think of kids that go to private schools as being the worst ones. The classes above me and below me were kind of that way. However, my class was great. We had parties after football games where we swam and ate and just hung out. We didn't need anything else to have fun. (I later got into "that" life style in college). Honestly, the group I went to school with was very grounded. Many of the guys went on to Liberty University and become pastors. I have great memories of high school.

I found the Bible that I used at school when I was in HS. I kept this particular one in my locker and took it to Bible class and chapel. I opened it up to find notes I had taken in chapel, quizzes, and things I had written as reflection to what was learned. It was really fun to see how I've grown since then. And on the other hand, it was fun to see my level of spiritual maturity at that point in my life. Just looking through that Bible brought back so many memories of high school. I think I took for granted the fact that I had the opportunity to learn about the Bible every single day, and the opportunity to grow in my walk every week at school through chapel. It was wonderful. I want so bad for my children to be able to have those experiences.

But that brings a difficult question to mind. I am kindergarten teacher, and I have been called to teach. I would love to teach in a Christian school. But does God need me more in a public school? I would love for my children to go to a Christian school and have Bible class, and chapel and so forth. But does God need them more in public school to be a light in a dark world? Its really difficult for me. You know I want to shelter them from the world, but I also know that they have to learn to stand against the things of this world. I know that God has an amazing plan for me, and for my family. But in thinking about private school, the only way we could do it is if I taught there to get the tuiton discount. But is that what God wants? Is it better to put your children in a Christian school so that Biblical studies is ingrained in the curriculum? Or is better to leave them in public school, so they can do as Christ has called us to do? I realize Landon is only 2, and it will be several years before he is in school. But these questions have bothered me for quite some time. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know! :-)

No comments: