Monday, July 14, 2008

Let's Stop Being "OK" With the Things of this World

During a rainy day inside recess one day last year at school my eyes were opened to how truly corrupt the world is becoming. Kindergarten was lucky enough to be able to go to the gym for recess when it rained. It was just a time to let the kids run wild and get some of that energy out. One day the PE teacher had the radio or a CD or something playing. I didn't pay much attention to it until I started watching a group of little girls from my class dancing. I then started listening to the song, specifically the words of the song. It was that "low low low" song. Honestly, I don't know the name nor do I know the lyrics. I just know that from what I heard that day and witnessed I was horrified. My little girls in my class new every single word to the song. And even worse, they new every single move to the music video, which I'm guessing would only be seen on MTV. These were 5 and 6 year old little girls, dancing like the women they see on MTV. Singing every single word to a very unwholesome song. I was in shock. It bothered me so much, I tried talking to others about it. Casey completely agreed with my stance on it. However, I was suprised at the reaction of several of my coworkers, who call themselves Christians. They really didn't see the big deal. They were fine with it. But really, how can we be ok with this? Kindergarteners should still be watching Dora, Diego, Little Bear, Franklin. But they aren't. They've already grown up. Their favorite shows are Hannah Montana, High School Musical and other similar shows. What happened to carefree childhood?

That incident happened in the spring and still bothers me to this day. But that's not the end of it. Casey and I were watching a tv show the other night where they had a guest singer come while the judges were making their decisions. This girl sang a song that I had never heard. Casey had heard of it, but we didn't know it. The lyrics were "I kissed a girl and I liked it....". Mind you this was a girl singing the song. Casey said that his boss had said the radio wears it out. Once again I was horrified. I pictured the little 5 and 6 year olds from my class singing the every word to the song. Now, I realize they still are little, and they probably don't know the meaning behind the lyrics. But then again they are growing up faster than we ever imagined. The worst part of it all is these children listen and watch what they are allowed to. Parents are ok with their kids hearing songs like these and dancing to videos seen on MTV. I think its really a wake up call for everyone. Corruption of the mind starts so young. I mean, when we were growing up we were watching Sesame Street, Smurfs, Full House... and now look at what are children are being exposed to. It really makes me sad. And it scares me to think of what the world is coming to. The world, that my children have to grow up in. I think that as Christians we can't just be ok with the things that are children are exposed to. We need make a stand. We need to make every effort to fill our childrens minds with things of Christ, and not allow the world to fill their minds with secular things. If we don't give them a solid foundation in Christ, then someday when they walk out our door, someone else will give them a foundation that will lead them astray.

We simply cannot be ok with things that we know are not from Christ. So let's make a stand together. When we see or hear something just as I have that really bothers us, lets encourage one another as brothers and sisters in Christ, and back one another up. In this world, we are all we have. And if we call ourselves Christians but then are ok with the things of this world, what is different about us and those living in darkness? I don't believe that you can live on the fence. I believe in all or nothing. We either live fully for Christ, or we live on the other side. There's no in between. Trust me, I've tried it....it doesn't work. So, how can we change this? The next time we are in the gym with unwholesome music, I plan to turn it off or at least way down. I mean that's a start, right? We can't change the world in one day. But together, we can begin changing it little by little.

No comments: